But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and manifests through us the sweet aroma
of the knowledge of Him in every place. For we are a fragrance of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing; 2 Corinthians 2:14-15 (NASB)

Monday, October 15, 2007

Who Gives You Affirmation?


I daresay, we all enjoy having folks affirm and encourage us. What if the folks you desire to affirm and encourage you do not follow through or forget about you? Then where do you get your encouragement?

Scripture is clear in that our hope is in Christ alone and not in man.

In Psalm 34:4, in the Amplified Bible, we read "I sought (inquired of) the Lord and required Him [of necessity and on the authority of His Word], and He heard me, and delivered me from all my fears. [Psalm 73:25; Matthew 7:7.]"

Read this passage again, but slowly word by word and phrase by phrase. It is tempting to come to Scripture and read it fast and say, "Oh I have read this before or I know what it means." Let's try this when we come to Scripture, ask the Lord to allow you to look at it as if you are reading it for the very first time. I am certain that new joy will emerge and just overwhelm you.

That is how I felt when I read Psalm 34:4 this morning. I think we all inquire but do we require Him out of necessity and on the authority of His Word? Yes, no and sometimes might be our answers. He is all that we need and He is all sufficient.

What fears do you and I have that the Lord needs to deliver us from? Ask the Holy Spirit to reveal those fear and ask Him specifically to deliver you from them.

Continuing on in Psalm 73:25, we read these encouraging words, "Whom have I in heaven but You? And I have no delight or desire on earth besides You." We may say it casually with our mouths but in our hearts, we know that we desire the approval of others. I know all too well that reality and it continues to be a painful struggle at times. I find myself disappointed in others and feeling so alone at times. Or feeling that folks like me for what I can do for them and not for who I am. Perhaps it may be true in some cases but I do believe many times, it's the enemy taunting me and discouraging me. Then again, I do believe some of the lessons the Lord teaches us are painful and if we persevere through them with Him, they will reap a harvest of joy and peace.

In Matthew 7:7, we read this, "Keep on asking and it will be given you; keep on seeking and you will find; keep on knocking [reverently] and [the door] will be opened to you."

A line from an old hymn states, "take it to the Lord in prayer." Corrie Ten Boom said, "whatever pit you are in, God is deeper still." Remember, whose you are and that you are "IN CHRIST."

Voddie Bauchman Jr, in his book, "Family Driven Faith - Doing What It Takes to Raise Sons and Daughters Who Walk With God," strongly encourages that families play Christian music that reminds us who we are and builds us up in the Lord. Plus it trains our minds to think on what Paul says, the whatsoevers in Philippians 4:8-9.

Guess what dear ones, "it won't happen by osmosis." It will take us deliberately turning our hearts, minds and wills to the Father.

Interesting note and perhaps not significant to anyone but myself. As I opened up my particular hymnal to prepare to type the words from the hymn, "The Solid Rock," guess what song is across the page from this wonderful hymn? "Jesus Loves Me!" What an incredible reality!

The Solid Rock

1. My hope is built on nothing less Than Jesus' blood and righteousness;
I dare not trust the sweetest frame, But wholly lean on Jesus' name.

Refrain
On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand; All other ground is sinking sand,
All other ground is sinking sand.

2. When darkness seems to hide His face, I rest on His unchanging grace;
In ev'ry high and stormy gale, My anchor holds within the veil.

Refrain

3. His oath, His covenant, His blood Support me in the whelming flood;
When all around my soul gives way, He then is all my hope and stay.

Refrain

4. When He shall come with trumpet sound, Oh, may I then in Him be found;
Dressed in His righteousness alone, Faultless to stand before the throne.

Refrain

As I have shared my heart with you, the Lord has refreshed me, redirected my thoughts and reminded me that He indeed loves me and that He's trustworthy.

Finally, the picture that I have placed in this posting is one I took at Greenfield Assisted Living this summer. It serves as a reminder of the passage found in Matthew 6:28-29. Take the time to read it and you too will be encouraged as well.

No comments: