But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and manifests through us the sweet aroma
of the knowledge of Him in every place. For we are a fragrance of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing; 2 Corinthians 2:14-15 (NASB)

Friday, August 17, 2007

"My Best Life Now! I Don't Think So

One only has to read the latest best sellers, watch and listen to the daily talk shows, read articles in popular magazines or search the web to understand that our culture and society is very much "self-centered" and "self-absorbed."

Even as Christians we are not immune from these temptations. The Bible tells us to "deny ourselves," while the world cries out, "become a better you," or "live your best life." We are daily inundated with these messages whether it be from a popular pastor, popular authors, or a favorite TV icon. Regardless, these messages do not line up with what the Bible teaches.

The problem is with what we want to believe versus what the Bible actually teaches. It's coming to the Bible with our presuppositions and trying to make it say what we want it to say or making it say less that it's original message.


In 1 John 2:15-17, we read these words ~
* 15) Do not love or cherish the world or the things that are in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in him.

* 16) For all that is in the world---the lust of the flesh [craving for sensual gratifications] and the lust of the eyes [greedy longings of the mine] and the pride of life [assurance in one's own resources or in the stability of earthly things]---these do not come from the Father but are from the world [itself].

* 17) And the world passes away and disappears, and with it the forbidden cravings (the passionate desires, the lust) of it; but he who does the will of God and carries out His purposes in his life abides (remains) forever.


In Matthew 4, we read of the Temptation of Jesus by the devil. The temptations could be summarized in three specific catagories:

1) The lust of the flesh
2) The lust of the eyes
3) The pride of life

It's not surprising that John addresses these areas for they have been with us since the Fall. Is it any different for us as Christians in the 21st century? Not all. We just think of more clever ways perhaps to disquise it, rationalize it, or package it.

Why the acceptance of the lie? I believe there are many reasons why. The one that alarms me the most is the reality that we are biblically illerate in our personal lives as well as in our churches. I remember right before I left for seminary a well-meaning friend saying to me, "why do you need to go to seminary when you can just stay home and read the Bible?" His comment did not deter me from God's calling in my life. Quite the opposite, it made me even more determined to follow Christ and gain a better understanding of God's Word.

Way before my departure to seminary, the ground work was laid by my dear precious parents as well as some incredible Sunday School teachers and Girls Missionary Auxiliary leaders. Prior to age 9, we did not own a television and time was spent in family devotions. In the afternoons after homework assignments were completed, we would listen to Christian children programs on the radio. Then each night at 8:00, we would listen "Unshackled," from the Pacific Garden Mission in Chicago, Illinois. Sometimes when I'm driving around in the evening, I am able to listen to Unshackled on one of the Christian radio stations. I still enjoy hearing incredible stories how God is changing the lives and hearts of men and women. I must confess, that each time I hear the organ music that opens up the program, my ears perk up, my heart overflows and sweet memories flood my mind. Indeed I am eternally grateful for my parents who laid the foundation in my life.

My Mom was particularly influential in mentoring me in God's Word. I remember as a junior high student that she was alarmed that on Sunday evening during "BTU - Baptist Training Union," that we were just reading our parts from the quarterlies instead of understanding the actual lessons and what the Bible taught.

So my sweet Mom developed "Bible Baseball," where the high school students were the team coaches and the junior high students made up the teams. We had weekly take home sheets that we had to complete using our Bibles. If we followed through and completed the questions, then our teams would be successful. Each Sunday night, my Mom had questions devised from these take home sheets. She drew a beautiful large baseball diamond on a large piece of plywood, that served as a visual each week as we played the game. [A side note: The was way before the modern Bible baseball products now in Christian bookstores.]

For example,
~ Bunts, Singles & Doubles - we had to answer without any team assistance.
~ Triples, Home Runs - we were allowed to consult with our team members.

If we answered incorrectly or if we did not even know the answers, it was an out for our team justs like in baseball. Would you believe Sunday night Youth Bible Study was recharged and we gained tremendous Bible knowledge as well as biblical application.


At my Mom's wake 22 years ago, these young people now adults; shared with our family how much an impact my Mom had made on their lives. Today many of them serve as Pastors, Music Ministers, Youth Ministers and Missionaries. What a godly impact my Mom made in my life as well as my brothers. She had a passion for the Word of God and wanted us to know her Savior and His inerrant Word.

As a child, I learned complete stories from both the Old and New Testaments. Guess what? My head did not explode nor did it short circuit my brain. I am afraid, that another reason why we are believing the lie, "Live Your Best Life," is that we do not know what the Bible actually says or teaches. Too many times, we get "Bible ditties," or "Bible thoughts". There are no short cuts in studying God's Word. No Cliff Notes available. One actually must put forth the effort and study the Bible themselves.

Children can learn complete stories from the Bible and parents can give more of the stories as their children grow in age and understanding.

So whenever you read items from the internet, at a Christian bookstore, or order on line, my admonition is that you make sure that it's content, worldview lines up with God's Word. The question is not, "does it sound like it is Christian? No, the question should be, "Is it BIBLICAL?"
As for me, I am not looking to find "my authentic self, "trying to transform my life," "celebrating me," and so forth. My heart's desire is to deny myself and take up my cross and follow Christ daily. In Luke 9:23-25 , Jesus spoke this, "And He said to all, If any person wills to come after Me, let him deny himself [disown himself, forget, lose sight of himself and his own interests, refuse and give up himself] and take up his cross daily and follow Me [cleave steadfastly to Me, conform wholly to My example in living and , if need be, in dying also. For whoever would preserve his life and save it will lose and destroy it, but whoever loses his life for My sake, he will preserve and avid it [from the penalty of eternal death]. For what does it profit a man, if he gains the whole world and ruins or forfeits (loses) himself?" (Amplified Bible)

In John 3:30 we read, "He must increase, but I must decrease. [He must grow more prominent: I must grow less so.] [Isaiah 9:7].

One can conclude that the Christian life is one of "selflessness" rather than selfishness. Beware of those who fly under the radar and tell you otherwise. These are our modern day deceivers.

No comments: