But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and manifests through us the sweet aroma
of the knowledge of Him in every place. For we are a fragrance of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing; 2 Corinthians 2:14-15 (NASB)

Friday, August 24, 2007

An Oasis Is Nearby

Have you had those moments where you feel spiritually dry? You wonder if there is an oasis nearby to quench your spiritual thirst. The threatening storm clouds of discouragement and fear are hovering nearby.

Dear ones, an oasis is nearby and it is found in JESUS. He is the living water and only He can satisfy your thirsting soul.


In "Streams in the Desert - 2," today's selection, we read the following; Therefore with joy shall ye draw water out of the wells of salvation. (Is. 12:3)

Oh blessed day when I first I found,
The stream that for my healing flowed;
I stooped and drank, and then, unbound,
My soul on Jesus praise bestowed.

No shore, no bottom then I found;
I swam, I drank, until a well
Where life's pure waters did abound
Within my soul with joy did swell.

Without, within, the waters rolled.
And every wave with life was fraught;
And blessings more than can be told
To me this matchless river brought.
[source: Abbie Mills, from Quiet Hallelujahs]

The wells of the Lord are to be found where most I need them. The Lord of the way knows the pilgrim life, and the wells have been unsealed just where the soul is prone to become dry and faint. At the foot of the hill difficulty was found a spring! Yes, these health-springs are lifting their crystal flood in the cheerless waters of evil antagonisms and exhausting grief.

Sometimes I am foolish, and in my need I assume that the well is far away. I knew of a farmer who for a generation had carried every pail of water from a distant well to meet the needs of his homestead. And one day he sank a shaft by his own house door, and to his great joy he found that the water was waiting at his own gate! My soul, they well is near, even here! Go not in search of Him! Thy pilgrimage is ended, the waters are at thy feet!

But I must "draw the water out of the wells of salvation." The hand of faith must lift the gracious gift to the parched lips, and so refresh the panting soul. "I will take the cup of salvation." Stretch out thy "lame hand of faith," and take the holy, hallowing energy offered by the Lord." [J.H. Jowett, from My Daily Meditation]

May the reality of Jesus being our oasis encourage you this day. I too have been encouraged and those storms clouds are not as threatening. Several chapters over, we read in Isaiah,

When you pass through the waters, I will be with you, and through the rivers, they will not overwhelm you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned or scorched, nor will the flame kindle upon you. For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior; I give Egypt [to the Babylonians] for your ransom, Ethiopia and Seba [a province of Ethiopia] in exchange [for your release]. Because you are precious in My sight and honored, and because I love you, I will give men in return for you and peoples in exchange for your life. Fear not, for I am with you. . . (Is. 43:2-5b - Amplified Bible)

O
h what a comfort these words, "Fear not, for I am with you," to my heart, soul and mind. When those storm clouds threaten, and they will, let's remember these words.

And ultimately let's remember these words from Jesus found in John 7:37,
"If any man is thirsty, let him come to Me and drink!"

No comments: