But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and manifests through us the sweet aroma
of the knowledge of Him in every place. For we are a fragrance of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing; 2 Corinthians 2:14-15 (NASB)

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Thankful for God's Mercy To & In My Life!

am in awe of our Heavenly Father who has such great love for me that He gently corrects and reproves me. Today in church, Pastor Craig continued his series, "Fingerprints of Faith, Part 4."  The emphasis was on "Meekness," from Matthew 5:4.  You know how it is when the Holy Spirit is at work and you feel like there must be some huge spot light or neon sign, "God is working on me right now, caution!"  Interestingly enough, prior to today's message, He's been gently pricking my heart in this matter.

Pastor Craig said something profound, "when we are easily offended or want to defend ourselves, it's likely because we have a high opinion of ourselves."  Ouch! But isn't that so true?  If we seek to say with Paul, "we've been bought with a price, therefore glorify God in our bodies and that we are no longer our own." Then it should not surprise us or even bother us whenever a man of God speaks the truth.  Yet in our sinfulness and own personal rationalizing, we find our excuses.  Instead, we can say with Isaiah, "woe to me, I am of unclean lips."  I'm right there with the prophet Isaiah.  The Apostle Paul stated in 1 Timothy 1:15, "This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief."  Can you so relate?  Indeed I can!
  
After church, I visited with a dear friend and shared how tempting it is to explain away the verse, "The discretion of a man makes him slow to anger, And his glory is to overlook a transgression."  Or perhaps in some translations, the word "offense," is used.  Regardless, we both concluded that it is very easy to do so when we think we've been offended or wronged.

So when tempted to allow my feathers to be ruffled when a situation arises or if I'm misunderstood, with the Holy Spirit's help and His power, I want to surrender my thinking, attitude and action.  Whereby, allowing meekness to emerge and joy to overflow.

Pastor Craig shared that the beatitudes are progressive in their placement in Scripture.  When we understand just how bankrupt we are before a Holy God and mourn over sinfulness, we are not so easily offended.

A particular praise song comes to my mind, "I Stand in Awe."  Please allow me to share the words of this song.  And by chance if you already know it, please feel free to sing along with me.  

You are beautiful beyond description,
Too marvelous for words:
Too wonderful for comprehension,
Like nothing every seen or heard.
Who can grasp Your infinite wisdom?
Who can fathom the depth of Your love?
You are beautiful beyond description, majesty enthroned above.

Chorus
And I stand, I stand in awe of You,
I stand, I stand in awe of You; 
Holy God, to whom  all praise is due,
I stand in awe of You.

And I stand, I stand in awe of You,
I stand, I stand in awe of You;
Holy God. to whom all praise is due,
I stand in awe of You.

As I conclude this posting, I am so reminded of my late parents when it comes to the subject of meekness and the beatitudes.  My Dad used to say, "well Kath, if folks are misunderstanding you or saying things are not true, then rejoice, my little sister in Christ, you're in good company, for so persecuted the prophets that were before you.  Just get happy in the Lord."  

Then my Mom shared lovingly but firmly, "Kathy, you would make a good lawyer, because you feel the need to defend yourself.  If what was said is not true and you do not sense the conviction of the Holy Spirit, then count it all joy, my little sister."  

Truly I want to grow in Christ and allow Him to work His will and way into the fabric of my heart, mind and total being.  Please pray for me as I will pray for you as well.

Amazed by His Love!

No comments: