But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and manifests through us the sweet aroma
of the knowledge of Him in every place. For we are a fragrance of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing; 2 Corinthians 2:14-15 (NASB)

Saturday, December 06, 2008

A Basket of Christmas Books

One of our traditions that we have around our house at Christmas is the placement of all of Christine's Christmas books in a festive basket in her room for her to read as well as to be read to. Each year, we add a book or books to her collection. Now that she is older, of course, the selection of books has changed. However, she still likes to have some of her earlier books nearby. 

These books are like old friends and as we ready the books to be placed in her basket, our family is able to draw from a reservoir of priceless memories. It's something that Christine looks forward to every year. We keep the Christmas books put away during the year so as to make it even more special when they are rediscovered.

I, too join in this tradition by placing many of my favorite Christmas books inside a decorative basket near our sofa or love seat whereby providing an interlude of reflection and renewal. For the past 16 years, family members along with friends have added to my special collection of Christmas books. In the evening, when our tree is all decorated, I like sitting on our sofa, sipping hot chocolate, or a hot tea and reading a selection from my basket of Christmas books. I must confess that's so easy to get side-track or allow the entrapment of this time of the year to detour me. Or in some cases, allow the stress to overtake me and steal my joy. It is vital for me to have a visual reminder to gently redirect me to be intentional in my celebration of Jesus' birth and His second coming.

"Behold, the virgin shall be with child and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel," which is translated, "God with us." Matthew 1:23 (NKJV)

No comments: