But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and manifests through us the sweet aroma
of the knowledge of Him in every place. For we are a fragrance of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing; 2 Corinthians 2:14-15 (NASB)

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Zin! Zin! Zin! a Violin - beyond the book

One of our favorite books on the orchestra is "Zin! Zin! Zin! a Violin," by Lloyd Moss and Illustrated by Marjorie Priceman. This is 1996 Caldecott Honor Book. Scholastic Inc. has an edition which can be purchased through the school market.

In Classic Conversations we have been learning about the Orchestra and three Classical composers, Peter Ilich Tchaikovsky, Claude Debussey and Igor Stravinsky. For me personally, it's been a lot of fun because I am able to use many of our music resources from our personal library. 

A side note, back during my junior college days, my major was music. When I transferred to the University of Houston, the music program was more intense. The Lord used a myriad of events to redirect my vocational training. My voice instructor at the time encouraged me to utilize my music skills in my avocation which I have done over the years. I've been blessed with wonderful mentors, one of which was my sweet Mom.

Last Friday after CC, the Lord gave me an idea to compliment this book. This afternoon, I made a set of "instrument cards," to use. All that remains is to get them laminated for durability.

If you're a parent or a teacher regardless of your music background, you can make up similar cards to serve as visual aids for this wonderful story. Perhaps you already have this book in your library, why not dust it off and use it in a new way to enhance your child or student's music education. Or you may wish to go to the library and check it out. Lastly, you might want to consider purchasing it for your music library.

Happily making music in my heart!

No comments: