But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and manifests through us the sweet aroma
of the knowledge of Him in every place. For we are a fragrance of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing; 2 Corinthians 2:14-15 (NASB)

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Lessons Learned From Laundry

You [are like] unfaithful wives
[having illicit love affairs with the world
and breaking your marriage vow to God]!
Do you not know that being the world's friend
is being God's enemy? So whoever chooses
to be a friend of the world
takes his stand as an enemy of God.
James 4:4 (Amplified Bible)

Last night when it was time for me to empty out my washer, I discovered hundreds of wet pieces of paper fuzz all over and in my laundry. I immediately knew what I had done; I had left paper napkins in the pockets of my slacks. Our laundry room is off our living room and outside. It was way too cold to stand on my back porch and shake out each item. Therefore, I had no other option but to bring the basket into our living room and shake the wet paper fuzz off each piece one by one. At the conclusion of this fun exercise, there was huge pile on the carpet. I rejoice that we have an excellent vacuum cleaner.

The thought occurred to me this is how sin is. We get careless and think what we do, say or participate in has no bearing in our Christian walk. It does. What we think is an innocent activity can become a lifestyle or a habit. Thereby attaching itself to our lives and giving the appearance of that we are living like a non-Christian. That is what I immediately thought of when I saw all the paper fuzz over all my laundry and yes, inside my washing machine.

I'm indeed grateful for the mercy, grace and forgiveness God grants us. I want my life to count for Christ. The statement that our pastor said yesterday, "What I believe about God will determine how I live and behave."

Today as I did several loads of laundry, I made sure the pockets were emptied. I can share it's been a "paper fuzz free day." Also, it's been a day whereby the activities I did throughout the day honored Christ.

I conclude with this wonderful verse from 1 Peter 2:12, "
Keep your behavior excellent among the Gentiles, so that in the thing in which they slander you as evildoers, they may because of your good deeds, as they observe them, glorify God in the day of visitation."

A work in progress!

Sola Gloria Deo . . . to God alone give glory!

Philippians 3:7-15

No comments: