But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and manifests through us the sweet aroma
of the knowledge of Him in every place. For we are a fragrance of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing; 2 Corinthians 2:14-15 (NASB)

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Blessings From Strangers!

Within one week, God has used complete strangers to bless me. Last Thursday while in line at Ukrops, the person before me gave us his free 2 liter soda. Christine was impressed by this act of kindness.

I had been struggling with some discouragement and had prayed for the Lord to encourage me. A couple of days later, I had a severe headache so I thought, perhaps a cup of coffee would help it subside. While in line to pay for my java, a gentleman behind me said, "I'm paying for her coffee." The gentleman smiled at me and said, "consider this your stimulus packet." As you can imagine, I was just elated and very thankful.

Yesterday afternoon Christine and I took a walk downtown
Fredericksburg. We went into one of our favorite bookstores. We like to go down to the basement and look at the children's books and the gardening books. We both found books to look through, sat down in the two comfy chairs and just relaxed. As I thumbed through the pages, there were 6 pages without anything on them. Quickly I found a pen to write down the book's info and perhaps online I'll find a better copy. Then the thought came to mind, "why not ask if it could be discounted.?" I showed the gentleman at the cashier what I had discovered. He said, "here take the book, it's free." Christine and I left the store rejoicing in God's provisions.

The verse in Hebrews 13:2 comes to my mind, "Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by this some have entertained angels without knowing it."

For me, it's a vivid reminder of my Father's love. On the day I received the free cup of coffee, I had prayed earlier, "Lord, please encourage me." He did in a marvelous way! For that I can rejoice and be very thankful.

Bottom line, Christ's sacrifice, death, and resurrection and His free gift of salvation is sufficient for all our needs. He is our true source of encouragement. A chorus my Mom taught me speaks of this reality.

He's All I Need

1) He's all I need. He's all I need; Jesus is all I need.
He's all I need, He's all I need: Jesus is all I need.

2) He died for me. He died for me; Jesus is all I need.
He died for me, He died for me: Jesus is all I need.

3) He's real to me, He's real to me; Jesus is real to me.
He's real to me, He's real to me; Jesus is real to me.

Lord, it's my desire to keep this in perspective and not allow the enemy to rob me of the joy you give abundantly in Christ.

No comments: