But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and manifests through us the sweet aroma
of the knowledge of Him in every place. For we are a fragrance of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing; 2 Corinthians 2:14-15 (NASB)

Friday, April 24, 2009

It's the littlest things that give us pleasure!

Isn't it the little things in life that bring us the greatest amount of pleasure? Today is my birthday and as always it causes me to ponder my blessings anew. Before Rob left for work, he and Christine gave me my birthday cards which truly touched my heart. This past week, one of our dear church members went home to be with the Lord at the age of 47. So today I've been a little more reflective.

Throughout my life, I have a vault of treasured memories of how my birthday has been celebrated these 52 years. One thing that I truly miss is hearing both my Mom's and Dad's voices wishing me a "Happy Birthday." On the other hand, the foundation they laid in my Christian life continues and my heart is full with deep gratitude.

This morning, my younger brother, John called to wish me a Happy Birthday which was wonderful. The joy of simple conversation is oftentimes overlooked but for me, it brought me great happiness just knowing John cares. My older brother, Keith called and sang, "Happy Birthday Kong," in a voice mail. You might be thinking, "who's Kong?" Long story short, as a teenager, I gained my height before my older brother and was taller than him for a brief period. Both he and John called me, "Kathy Kong," after King Kong. I must confess back then I did not have the appreciation that I now have for this endearing pet name. Sometimes, Keith has referred to Christine as "Little Kong," and that makes her laugh.

Keith left a message on our answering machine and a voice mail on my cell phone. Aren't you delighted that we have such technology to be able to listen to messages from loved ones? It's easy to take this for granted but I for one love to get voice messages from my brothers.

Both of my brothers have keen sense of humor and there have been times whenever we've been out together, they would tell the waiter that it was my birthday even when it wasn't. Of course, they took great delight in embarrassing me. Besides the Kong nickname, Keith calls me, "Baby Girl." He is 17 months older than me but I love it whenever he calls me that name.

A funny birthday was when we lived in Oklahoma and a friend baked me a "sponge cake." Yes, it was literally a sponge with frosting on top of it. Everyone enjoyed watching me trying to cut the cake. In seminary, my Sunday School class took newspaper and covered my door. When I opened my door, I literally had a newspaper wall and they had creatively placed a large birthday card on it. Later on that evening, they kidnapped me, drove me around town and gave me a surprise party. My Open Bible (NASB) is the Bible I purchased from the birthday money they gave me. Today I still have this Bible and each time I use it, I'm reminded of these dear friends.

Christine took me to brunch at Bob Evans. I shared with her that 13 years ago, a favorite birthday present came to me the day after my 39th birthday. Christine's early arrival on April 25. She asked me today if we had celebrated my birthday back then? Of course, I had been so sick during my pregnancy that celebrating a birthday was not at the top of my list. As it is so often, one comes to appreciate certain things later on in life. I think the joy of having Christine's birthday the next day after mine is God's way of allowing me to celebrate one of His best gifts to me the rest of my life. I may have been too ill to celebrate back in 1996, however, God answered a heart's desire and that was to become a Mom. He went over the top by allowing me to have a precious girl.

Indeed, it truly is the little things in life that bring and give us the greatest amount of pleasure. I'm working through the book, "Loving God With All Your Mind." Recently I came across these words. Please read them and allow the Lord to work in your thinking and your hearts.

"My friend, it's a fact: Thinking about things that are untrue and unreal drain your energy, your life, and your strength for dealing with today's issues! Obeying the command of Philippians 4:8, however, helps keep your bucket filled and overflowing! and your energy available to serve God, to take care of your responsibilities, and to move toward accomplishing your dreams." 
[Loving God with All Your Mind, Elizabeth George, page 68.]

May you and I remember this. Take time to read Philippians 4 and remember the Apostle Paul wrote this letter while in prison.

Soli Deo gloria!

2 comments:

Kerry said...

this is so sweet... somehow in all that, I never realized Christine was born the day after your birthday!

Kathy Lundberg said...

Thanks for reading this entry and leaving me a comment. Truly made me smile. A huge benefit of blogging has been a gentle reminder from my Heavenly Father what is truly important.